[CAUT] Power notcher

Ted Sambell edward.sambell at sympatico.ca
Thu Jun 14 10:26:33 MDT 2007

Hi Tom,

I know of a bridge notcher which came from from the defunct Sherlock Manning factory. It's in a huge warehouse room about fifty miles from me along with an enormous amount of other stuff; backs in various stages of constuction, cabinet parts, but no actions or keys , so most of it is useless, but the warehouse people will not sell anything seperately. The notcher was specially made, and the work on the backs' bridges there looked very good. It works like a radial arm saw, the cutter drawn along an arm by the operator, and I think it could be adapted for a high production rebuilding shop. The niftiest notcher I have seen was in the Schimmel factory. It is robotic and fully automatic. The bridge pin hole drilling and bridge pin insertion are also automatic. Naturally, the whole process has to be programmed for specific models. I imagine other modern piano companies use similar technologies.

Ted Sambell