[CAUT] Keybed repair

Dave Doremus algiers_piano at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 1 06:17:08 MST 2007

Has anyone repaired/replaced a Steinway keybed? I have a model B, 20
years old, that was flooded up to the keyframe. The soundboard is
still in amazingly good shape. It needs complete new action, keys,
dampers, strings, tuning pins, finish work etc, etc. All that is
massive but fairly normal. What Im worried about is that it looks
like the keybed has swollen, opening about a 3/16" gap between the
rail and stiles in the treble end. There are no gaps at the belly
rail or stretcher. It almost seems as if the rim has spread apart a
bit at the bottom but not the top. The rim is intact, no cracks or
gaps. I have not tried applying any clamps yet, Im still figuring out
whether or not to attempt anything at all. The owner would really
like to save it if at all possible, having heard all my usual
warnings about the long term viability of the instrument after
exposure to that kind of moisture. Advice?
--
----Dave