[CAUT] 3 handed Lyre work

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Mon Mar 12 17:18:36 MST 2007

<< I've heard there was recently advice on getting a Steinway lyre on with
just two hands.  Can anyone relay that info?  Sometimes the rods/recess pockets
are worn, but considering it's a typical Steinway.......    >>

Greetings,
     It is a simple thing to do.  I drop the rods out of the pedals, insert
the plates so that they interlock, and then put the prop sticks in the holes at
on the lyre, leaving them loose.  Then, holding the lyre up with a block
underneath, (or simply with one hand),  I slide it forward without it coming out
of contact with the plate in the keybed.  In this position, it is easy to place
the tops of the prop sticks in their respective holes and sliding the lyre
back into its locked position.  Tap to seat, install screws or turn the cam, and
replace pedal rods.  It takes about 40 seconds.
    If you want to cheat, a long harwood wedge will hold the lyre up against
the piano while you slide it forward.  Otherwise, you can put the prop sticks
in their upper holes one at a time by twisting the lyre as you hold it up.
Practise makes perfect.  I ain't gonna ever say I am perfect, however, I have
had LOTS of practise.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
http://www.aol.com.