[CAUT] The politics of clapping (o/t)

John R. Granholm granholmjohnpian at qwest.net
Thu Mar 15 09:41:12 MST 2007

On a related topic, I witnessed a "first" in my tuning career a
couple weeks ago.

Our local Community Concert Association (Southwest Oregon) brought in
a brilliant young New York pianist for a solo recital.  Some audience
members in the first row were dealing with a noisy child after he
started playing.  First he leaned toward the offenders and glared at
them.  When that didn't satisfy him, he leaned toward them again, not
missing a beat of his Debussy, and went "SHHHH!"  And then he did it
again, quite loudly.

The people took the child to the back of the hall or left, I'm not
sure which.

I've watched concert artists put up with a lot of audience noise and
distractions, but I'd never seen one do this from the stage in the
middle of a performance.

I don't know why people bring tiny children to these concerts, or why
some of them come to concerts and then carry on conversations or
wander in and out during the performance.  As has been suggested, I
suspect they have not been educated, and most people, at least where
I live, do not have a lot of experience with "serious" concerts and
customary behavior at them.

John R. Granholm RPT