[CAUT] Agraffe alignment

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Fri Mar 16 13:39:05 MST 2007

Some months back, someone (Kent Swafford maybe?) posted a picture of
Steinway agraffes all out of alignment.  I don't remember the entire
ensuing discussion, but my recollection is that there was a consensus
that it was definitely taboo.  I just had an experience this week
that gave me reason to think there might have been some rational
reason for it.

I tuned a Kawai RX-2 in a customer's home which had an obnoxious buzz
in the left string of B27 at the agraffe -- the first unison in the
low tenor and the first plain wire triple unison.  I worked and
worked with a string lifter and a screwdriver and the buzz would
subside a bit, but soon came right back as obnoxiously as before.
Without access to a supply of Kawai compatible agraffes and not
particularly wanting to deal with the consequences of restringing
those two unisons, I decided to nudge the agraffe just a bit tighter
in its hole.

That put the agraffe just a bit out of true alignment, but not badly
enough to significantly distort the tunability of the unison (or the
functionality of the damper), but gave the wire just enough of a
fresh point of contact in the agraffe hole to eliminate the buzz.  It
was actually that email post with that picture of the nasty looking
Steinway agraffe alignment that gave me the idea.

I've seen some pretty rough agraffes coming out of Steinways from the
late 60s and early 70s.  I wonder now if maybe those agraffes had
been turned to help with buzzing or other noises I've heard from
Steinway agraffes from that era - just maybe the buzzes trumped the
tuning consequences?

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina