[CAUT] University Position in Colorado

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Fri Mar 16 14:36:12 MST 2007

On Mar 16, 2007, at 2:03 PM, Gould, Jeremy wrote:

> Money isn't everything.

No, but if there isn't enough of it, it very quickly becomes the main
thing.  And when there isn't enough moonlighting one month, you might
not be able to make it up later.  That becomes debt, which just grows.

Unfortunately, the attitude that "money isn't everything" is the main
reason our salaries are so low.

> The faculty has been very appreciative of my
> efforts.

until there isn't enough of you to get all the work done...

>   Greeley is a pretty nice place to live, being only about an
> hour away from both Estes Park and Denver.  Working at a University
> has
> certain benefits for me besides money.  Having a music faculty that
> views me as a colleague has been one.  Being able to check out books
> from the music library for 6 months at a time is another.  Being in an
> environment where people value music, talk about music, and perform
> music, is another.

Yes, all those are really nice unless you can't pay your bills.

> I have enjoyed my short time here, but have found that tuning
> constantly
> makes it impossible to practice.

Now you're getting to the meat of it.  I used to consider myself a
musician, but I don't even have time for church choir, much less
practice time.  Family time also suffers.  The reason we work in the
first place is what sacrifices.

> I also found that my requests for more
> money, a budget, etc. were not likely to be answered to my
> satisfaction.

That isn't just at your school.  You're describing the normal
situation.  I've been begging for the 9 years I've been here for a
real budget and more help.  Attempts at convincing that we needed a
larger piano tech staff years ago are now being answered with, "we
have a plan to (basically increase your workload) that could result
in justifying a second position."  My answer was, "yes, and based on
what you are describing, we will then need two more."

These people who appreciate your work, still really don't understand
it at all.

You have also just identified how your university job also has the
ability ruin your reputation.  If staffing level, or the budget, or
the combination of both is insufficient to adequately keep up the
inventory, the technician is the one whose reputation suffers.

I used to believe a university tech job was my dream job.  It is
becoming a nightmare.

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina