[CAUT] False Beats and George Winston

Ronald E Engle englepiano at juno.com
Fri Mar 16 20:52:05 MST 2007

I have done a number of tunings for George Winston also.  He is always a
gentleman and all business.  His playing concentrates mostly on the 5th
and 6th octaves.  The first time I tuned for him he told me these octaves
typically have false beats on Steinway D's and to do what I could.  I
always wait for him back stage at intermission to see if he needs
anything other than touch up and he would tell me what he wanted as he
walked right on past.  He often pounds muted strings in the bass for
special effects and once at intermission he told me one of those notes
kept on ringing.  When I checked it I found he knocked a damper felt out
of alignment.  I debated telling him about it but felt he should know so
he could be more careful.  I told him about is as he came out of the
dressing room after intermission and he shook his head yes and kept right
on going.  Once the stage crew got the lighting wrong  and he told them
not to let it happen again.  He strives for perfection and expects that
out of others also.  At the end of one concert he gave credits to the
audience and actually thanked the piano tuner and mentioned my name.  I
truly look forward to when he comes to the area.

Ron Engle, RPT