[CAUT] False Beats and George Winston

maxpiano maxpiano at sc.rr.com
Sat Mar 17 10:18:08 MST 2007

Last time I tuned for him, I got there at my usual (for this venue) 7 AM and
tuned the piano.  When I was finished, the staff told me he had come in
after the previous night's show and had practiced through the night.  This
time, his people have specified that the piano is to be tuned the day before
the concert, and then be gone over between 4 and 5 PM the day of the
performance -- with touch-up during intermission.

This occasion made me cut up an old brass pedal rod for string/balance pin
working tools, as the previous one got left in a piano a week or two ago.

This venue is 35 miles out of town for me.  I haven't previously been asked
to make two separate visits for one show.  Since it also involves waiting
around between 5 and 8 PM, plus hanging around to listen to music that
doesn't particularly turn me on, I am mulling over how to charge for this
one.  Any suggestions?  The venue gives me two complimentary tickets to
anything my wife and I want to attend, so I have to balance that in.  And we
go every month or so to some fine shows.

Bill