[CAUT] False Beats and George Winston

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Mon Mar 19 08:33:33 MST 2007

On Mar 18, 2007, at 7:26 PM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

> Whether the pin is at the bottom of the hole or not makes no
> difference acoustically, though that's the illusion and everyone's
> conclusion when bottoming pins clears up a beat.

Hi Ron,
Have you been able to prove this? or is it educated speculation?  It
certainly seems that the pin needs to be anchored to help avoid
wallowing out the hole.  Since the wood is softer than the pin, the
pin would be the more stable of the two simultaneous terminations,
unless it is flagpoling around because it isn't anchored in the hole.

But that is definitely hypothesis.  I have noticed that if the hole
has been drilled too deep (or the pin cut too short) and the pin
can't make contact, the falseness will not be eliminated.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina