[CAUT] Agraffe alignment

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Mar 19 13:00:29 MST 2007

Hi Jim.

I just find myself doing an lot of creative string leveling that I dont
seem to remember having to do some years back.  Its kind of difficult
sometimes when brand new instruments come off the line with things like
the middle string hole being high, and the left being low... with the
right inbetween.  And I havent really noticed that any particular brand
seems all that much more prone to this kind of thing then others
personally.  I'd almost go so far as to compared Yamaha C series with
Petrofs for that matter... and thats saying something.

That said..  buying replacements may be another matter depending on who
supplies you.  Last bunch I bought were by no means impressive.  Ron is
one of those outstanding positives in our industry to be sure.  Its is
to be hoped your comment about him is correct.

Cheers
RicB

    Hi Ric,

    FWIW the last agraffes I bought weren't worse that old ones, but they
    weren't any better for sure. Seems like the manufacturers would look at
    improvements like Ron Overs is doing...

    Regards,
    Jim Busby BYU

        Hi Dave

        I was refering to agraffes and not the entire scope of piano
        building.
        And it seems to me that with very few exceptions most of the newer
        instruments I've seen in the past say.... 15 years anyways have
        had less

        then optimal quality control in this area.  Addressing the
        entire scope
        of design, all the problems surrounding that and manufacturing
        realities, marketing realities, and the realities about both
        pianists
        conceptions/misconceptions and our own as piano technicians
        seemed to be

        a bit off the subject matter of agraffe alignment,  tho to be
        sure a
        potentially very interesting discussion in its own right.

        But back to the topic of this thread... Strikes me that there
        has been a

        general industry wide decline in agraffe quality in the last 15-20
        years.

        Cheers
        RicB