[CAUT] False Beats and George Winston

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Mar 19 15:08:15 MST 2007

> Hi Ron,
> Do you think there is an audible effect in the lower half of the scale?
> If so, how would you describe it? Power loss due to lack of focus?
> Regards,
> Fred Sturm

Hi Fred,
I'm not so sure it's even detectable at all down there, at
least I haven't been able to find it. Have you noticed that
when folks find an objectionable noise in the bass or low
tenor, they immediately seat the strings (or pins), then
report that it didn't fix the problem? I'd say it's because
that ain't it. The resonant frequency of the flagpoling pins
is higher, if the pins are bigger, as the driving frequencies
of the strings get lower, therefor further away from that of
the pins. To get an audible beat, the frequencies have to be
pretty close together at a reasonably low numbered partial of
the string. I don't know. Maybe we *can* hear a loose pin
induced false beat in the 23rd partial of C-2 and just don't
recognize it amongst all the other garbage.

Ron N