[CAUT] Rubbing out laquer finish

Jeff Farris Jfarris at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Mar 22 10:40:33 MST 2007

I agree that naptha would be the best way to
remove wax build-up. Another option after the
naptha is to use a product called
"Restore-A-Finish", applying it with 0000 steel
wool lightly, then wiping off with a clean cloth.
It does take a bit of "elbow grease" to wipe it
back off. But the results look nice. It comes in
different shades (walnut, natural, etc.) but
that's not really an issue on an ebony finish. I
only just recently used it on ebony for the first
time - it really does well on walnut or mahogany
cases. You can usually find it at local hardware
stores.

Good Luck,
Jeff Farris
Piano Technician
School of Music
UT Austin
mailto; jfarris at mail.utexas.edu
512-471-0158

If this is an ebony finish, you do not want to use Murphy's Oil Soap.
It's the oil and wax that is creating the hazy finish in the first
place. You need a product that gits rid of the oils and wax. Windex
would have worked, because it removes oils. But if someone at an
earlier time has put some sort of wax on the ebony finish, the wax
needs to be removed first.

If the Simply Green doesn't do the trick, then I'm afraid the only
other solution is to use naptha. You want to rub it with 0000 steel
wool to get rid of the wax buildup. The problem is, that will leave a
hazy residue, which will them have to be removed with a soft clean
cloth, and maybe followed up with ebony laquer.

In other words, Paul, this might become more of a project than you had
anticipated. Perhaps a call to a local furniture refinisher would be
the best solution.

Wim