[CAUT] Capstans to Tray

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Mar 25 09:21:58 MST 2007

Gotta admit I have not considered this bit much because I haven't run
into more then a couple examples of instruments that use anything else
then key end felts.
Bergen is a little isolated and has been dominated by the presence of
Schimmels, Yamahas, and Petrofs. Most of the decent grands I work on are
either Hamburg Steinway or Yamahas... with a couple Bostons thrown in.

I always found that the most difficult moment in the whole of damper
work  was tightening block screws onto damper wires, especially those
that have been nicked... with minimal to no change in damper head
position.  I have wondered many a time if there shouldnt be a better way
of doing this whole thing.... like perhaps a hollow screw that excepts
(tightly) the damper wire itself, but can be screwed up and down in the
block for height adjustment. That way you'd have an adjustment that
dealt with both timing and tray lift at the same time.

I could see tho that depending on how springy an underlever cushion was
that it might be a bit more difficult.  What would be the advantage of
putting the cushions there me wonders ?

Cheers
RicB

     >  Also preferences as to whether the felt should be on the key or on
     >the underlever.
    ???

    Some German makes have the lifter felt glued to the underlever not
    the key.
    I find it a little more difficult to set these due to the cushion of
    the felt.
    --

    Regards,

    Jon Page