[CAUT] FW: CAUT Position Announcement (NEC)

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Wed Mar 28 10:35:00 MST 2007

On Mar 28, 2007, at 11:33 AM, RicB wrote:

> Seems to me we should be encouraging universities in this
> direction. To be sure with adequate salary.

It is indeed a very well written job description -- probably for the
sole purpose of provoking the bean counters into agreeing on a
reasonable salary.  This should be taken as a model job description
for every head/only piano tech position.  This is actually what most
of us do, while our actual job descriptions make it sound like we
answer to some person like this.  This is definitely the line of
thinking we should be headed towards.  But I wrote something similar
a couple years ago, and my dean kind of laughed at it.  Now with
this, I might approach him again.

>   That said... when they require a bachelors degree... one would
> think at least a reasonable salary would be included.

I was once told that in the SC system, requiring a college degree
results in two salary bands higher.

>   Health insurance and dental alone is worth what over there.. ?
> No small amount in any case.

Depends entirely on employer contribution and the products you have
access to.  Not all plans are equal.  It isn't always a free benefit,
but when it is, the accompanying salary is usually lower, so you get
about the same package either way -- you'll likely take home about
50% of the total salary package.  Also depends on the quality of the
product.  Our dental plan is so bad they had to add a second "dental
plus" to supplement it -- with a significant premium attached.

> Cheers
> RicB

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT