[CAUT] University Position in Colorado

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Fri Mar 23 11:54:16 MST 2007

On Mar 21, 2007, at 6:26 PM, Gould, Jeremy wrote:

> I don’t know what the long term solution is.  I just know it is a
> battle I don’t want to fight.  I think in the end, the level of
> service demanded by the faculty will determine what happens.  The
> more the faculty complains, the faster change will occur.  If the
> faculty remains apathetic and complacent, the position and the
> pianos will deteriorate.  I can explain the deficiencies in pay,
> resources, humidity control, tools, work-space, care of the
> instruments, etc. until the cows come home, but after the first
> round, it is too easy to tune me out.  It is when the faculty begin
> to complain that things will get done.  The problem is that when
> faculty complain, the technician often gets the blame, not the lack
> of resources or the fact that there is enough work for two full
> time technicians.  I’ve made a noticeable improvement in service
> since I have been here (the last technician was part-time, so
> improvement over that was not too difficult), but I have no budget
> for new pianos and I have to request every new part I order.  It is
> only a matter of time before the bubble bursts.

Very, very well written.

> All of that said, if you are a brave technician who would like a
> lot of experience quickly, and the opportunity to have a positive
> impact on an enthusiastic, highly skilled musical community, and
> don’t mind working for a year or two in a job that is under paid,
> this is a golden opportunity.  It’s been worth it for me.
That's the part that is such a shame.  You're having to look for
someone who doesn't mind working a year or two because it is
underpaid.  It isn't "priced" for someone who can be a part of the
long term solution.  Like Otto so brilliantly put it, we're merely
providing "hospice care" for the pianos.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina