[CAUT] Stainless wire "sound"

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Tue May 1 11:58:03 MDT 2007

Hi,

Good question. You know it's one of those "I can hear a difference but
can't explain it" things. We did some preliminary spectrum studies and
found that the Stainless wire has a more pronounced fundamental, 1st,
and second partials in the bass to mid range and the FAC numbers show
about one number lower on all three notes. IOW 8 8 8 would be 7 7 7 with
Pure Sound. Some people say it sounds "brighter" while some say
mellower. Most can't put their finger on it. Vince said, and we all
agreed, that it made the piano sound "bigger". IOW an M sounded more
like an O or closer to a B.

Here's the best way I can describe the sound; If you're familiar with
guitar amplifiers some have a "Presence" knob which, when adjusted, adds
more or less mid range and higher EQ. This would be on the "more
presence" side. When we recently compared two Ms side by side I felt
like my ears were slightly plugged up on the M with regular wire and the
one with stainless sounded more full. Like the station was coming in
clearer...

I dunno. Does that help? It's not a huge difference to me. (Vince seems
to think it's bigger, and he's a FAR better voicer than I am) Hope that
helps.

Jim Busby BYU