[CAUT] Hamburg Steinway

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri May 4 10:55:21 MDT 2007

Charles,

Do you believe a 30 year old Hamburg in good condition (other than needing
stringing and a new stack) might fetch between $45-50,000? or more?

Thanks

Paul

"Charles K. Ball" <ckball at mail.utexas.edu>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
05/03/2007 08:19 AM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] Hamburg Steinway

Paul,

We just priced a new Hamburg D through our local dealer and were quoted
$141,000--up from the $130,000 quoted last year.  That price apparently
does not include a bench...

Charles

Hi all,

Here at UNL, a piano professor has a great piano in her home.  It is a
Hamburg Steinway D (early 70's I think) that was previously owned by
Ashkinozy (spelling?)  It is ready for an action rebuild, but that's not
the question.

She asked me to appraise it.  Does anyone know what the retail for
Hamburg's are these days? I told her about $150K new, but I would check it
out, so I am now. I may be way off....

Thanks

Paul

ps;  Really sorry to here of your situation, Wim.  I think the good Lord
has something better in mind for you.  Old profs aren't always smart
enough to know when to quit You can't teach an old dog new tricks. I had a
similar "customer" back in Washington.  She was the "all knowing all
seeing" but that was in her own mind....pw

--

Charles Ball, RPT
Head Piano Technician
mailto:ckball at mail.utexas.edu