[CAUT] Hamburg Steinway

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri May 4 13:12:36 MDT 2007

I would  say that would depend entirely in how good condition it was
in.  I just ran into a Hamburg B from 1927... needs restringing, capo
and agraffe work, and new action parts.... but amazingly big round and
full tone.  Suprised the friggen frogs out of me.  Through the worn out
parts and front terminations you could hear this thing was a gem.  Case
beat pretty bad..... Hard to price really.

Specially because it has been sitting in an old wooden house that has
retained relatively high inside humidity throughout the year.  Not a
hint of a crack in the panel, and no compression ridges anywhere to be
seen. Strange beast to be sure.

I ended up having to say it was worth more potentially then they'd ever
get for it... but told them if they could get roughly 8 thousand  USD as
is they should jump at it.

Cheers
RicB

    Do you believe a 30 year old Hamburg in good condition (other than
    needing
    stringing and a new stack) might fetch between $45-50,000? or more?

    Thanks

    Paul