[CAUT] Critter-damaged balance punchings in Yamaha P-22s

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Tue May 8 17:20:29 MDT 2007

Hello,

We have been doing some maintenance work on the Yamaha P-22s in the practice rooms here at San Francisco State - key bushings, regulation, etc. - and we are finding lots of critter damage (I don't know if it's moths or not) in the balance punchings of some 8-10 year old P-22s. No other cloth appears to be affected. Those are the red 1 mm thick balance punchings. Almost identical replacements are available from Schaff (as hitch pin punchings) and slightly larger ones from Piano Forte. Our Director (the brass here aren't satisfied with a mere Department Chair) insists that the replacements be critter-proof before approving the purchase (Yup, I need to get approval for a $35 expenditure. Sheesh...)

So, anyone know a method of critter-proofing these things that doesn't make the practice room smell of mothballs? Or perhaps some of these products are already critter proof?

Thanks,

Israel Stein