[CAUT] Agraffes and dampers

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Tue May 15 13:26:54 MDT 2007

I'm sorry.  I must disagree to some point.

Performers seem to be of the opinion that the composers of this music
are more the authority of piano design than are manufacturers and
technicians.

Fuddy-duddie or not, there must be some education that much of this
stuff is quite damaging to the piano.  Some of it doesn't even make
sense - like using a wedge mute for single unisons -- even the
largest ones just fall through to the soundboard.  I don't care how
much some of you respect some of the composers or how "cool" some of
that music sounds, it is my opinion that those who compose this type
of stuff are guilty of negligent vandalism, if there is such a
thing.  When some music departments require some form of this stuff
for composition students to graduate, so that framming on a $100,000
piano with a beer can is all one can come up with to meet the
requirement, there are serious problems with this form of composition.

Jeff

On May 15, 2007, at 11:55 AM, reggaepass at aol.com wrote:

> Hi List,
>
>  David has made a crucial point about how we are perceived within
> the environment in which we work, and how that impacts how
> respected we are (or are not). Taking an, "Ours not to reason why;
> ours but to do or die" attitude (at least publicly), helps keep us
> from eroding our own credibility.
>
> Alan Eder
>
>  P. S. David, thanks for the endorsement of our video. It IS in the
> libraries of many schools of music across the land and, apparently,
> has helped facilitate the dialogue that must take place between
> pianists and technicians about specific pieces and techniques.  You
> check is in the mail!
>
> ae

Jeff Tanner, RPT
Piano Technician