[CAUT] Killer half-octave

Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel) WOLFLEEL at ucmail.uc.edu
Wed May 16 07:45:16 MDT 2007

Hi Dave,

I've installed Treble Tone Resonators on 3 NY Ds here at the
Conservatory and my experience is this:

On the instrument which needed help the most it drastically improved the
tone in the 5th and 6th octaves to the point where it successfully
competes with the best instruments here.

On the instrument which was OK but not great, it improved it a little.

On the instrument which didn't really need it, I can't tell if it made
any difference. I just wanted to see if it would make it even better.

On a weak instrument I would recommend giving it a try. As you said,
$155 is an affordable experiment with potential for great return. I
bought a Hitachi 12" flexible shaft tool ($20, I think) for my cordless
drill to be able to drill in tight quarters as you will need to be
doing. You have to buy drill bits that have the hex quick release base
to use the flexible shaft tool as well.

Hope this helps.

Eric

Eric Wolfley, RPT
Head Piano Technician
Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati