[CAUT] killer half-octave / Overs

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri May 18 09:01:27 MDT 2007

Hi Ron

I am wondering something, despite the obvious logic behind the belly
rail reasoning you present, the bell thingy couples the plate itself to
the rim.... because the Steinway plate presumably benifits from this
..... With the bell removed what, if anything do you do to compensate
for that ?  I've heard several discussions about the actual function but
one point that I wonder about had to do with the thickness of the plate
at that area... I have to go back through the archives to dig that out
again ... but perhaps you might jot some lines down on the whole subject.

Cheers
RicB