[CAUT] killer octave resonator

Chris Solliday solliday at ptd.net
Sat May 19 11:23:22 MDT 2007

I think I mentioned earlier that this turnbuckle has worked on occasion the ooposite way and this I believe is noted in the instructions. The idea is that the parts that the soundboard is mounted to are stiffened and held better in place so that this small part of the board can vibrate more freely kind of like pulling a blanket taut. It does not seek to improve crown only vibrability (now there's a word for ya) although I suppose it could very very very slightly. When you tighten the turnbuckle you should start with taut and firm and only turn the tiniest amount and listen as you go. It is best done with two people and the person with the wrench should be turning by the smallest increments that they can imagine. And then lots of listening and comparing and consulting. There is a right place for the buckle to rest and you have to find it.
I think Don Mc's belly was ready to split or was split already. This is the only one I have ever heard of splitting.
Chris Solliday