[CAUT] killer shanks

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat May 19 11:35:31 MDT 2007

> Yes I taper/channel the whole set and sort by weight. I am told that the
> stiffening is akin to I-beam construction but I am not an engineer so
> consider that hearsay.

Heresy, actually. There's no way you will stiffen a beam by
removing material, unless you replace the removed material on
a different part of the beam. It will always become more
flexible. I beams are not as stiff, much less stiffer than
solid beams of the same outside dimensions. I beams are a
means of getting a high degree of stiffness with a minimum of
material - a higher stiffness to weight ratio, sure, but not
increased stiffness. It keeps the material cost and weight as
low as is practical for tall building construction. Tubing is
probably better, but tougher to assemble in building structure.

Ron N