[CAUT] killer octave resonator

Chris Solliday solliday at ptd.net
Mon May 21 13:20:33 MDT 2007

RicB,
 I can't explain why the resonator works any more than I have. Read Bob Grijalva's article in a recent PTG Journal or the instructions that come with the device, from Pianotek. I will offer, however, that it works PDG and if you try one one you will know that too, even if you never fully explain it.
Perhaps a quote from the instructions by Bob G could help,
 "The challenge in desgining the Treble Resonator was enabling a connection between the rim and belly rail that did not interfere with the vertical bolt that extends to the plate from the treble bell. As mentioned earlier (in PTG article), this vertical bolt is the very reason why pianos of this type do not have a wooden beam at that juncture, leaving a lengthy section of the belly rail unsupported."
"I also wanted the adjustment to be mechanically intuitive. The Treble Resonator works by pulling the rim and belly toward each other through contraction of the trunbuckle, rather than expansion, as in the Falcone jack design. One should rotate the tunbuckle in a clockwise manner in relation to the plate that is attached to the belly rail. This contraction works to reinforce and integrate the entire system, possibly providing linkage betweeen the belly and the rim, enabling them to expand and contract in tandem through seasonal changes, rather than going their own separate ways."
Sorry for so little science,
Chris Solliday