[CAUT] New job

Rob & Helen Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Mon May 21 17:59:39 MDT 2007

Congratulations!

I can help you out RIGHT NOW with your first customer!

I just finished installing a PianoDisc into a Petrof.  From here it is being crated and shipped to Hawaii where it will live.  The owner was in my shop just a couple weeks ago looking it over before crating.  I imagine it will leave here by the end of the month.  It will probably take 3-4 weeks to get there after which it will need to acclimate for a month or so before it is ready to tune.  Guess who his new technician can be!  Your arrival time should be perfect.

I have heard many stories of how much work there is for a good motivated technician.  Apparently there are a number of "tOonUrZ" but not a lot of technicians.  I was talking about this with Don Mannino a while back.  He was telling about a visit he made to a dealer.  He called a technical meeting and said he couldn't believe how little those guys knew about pianos.  One actually asked him how do you remove an upright action.  I've heard similar stories from other sources.  A number of years ago I was offered a position at a dealer there but I turned it down.  It would have been cool to be Don Hoe's technician but I thought it better to pursue other opportunities.  I'm sure there will be plenty of work waiting for you.  Just remember to charge appropriately, it's expensive there!

E-me when you get there and settled and I'll get you the contact info for your first customer.  He's got some pretty righteous bucks too, not bad.  He was asking me about who he should call.  Now I can tell him!

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV

  Tonight, it was more or less made official that I would start on August 1st. But here is the best part, and some of you guys are going to kill me. It's on the island of Oahu in Hawaii. No, not for the university, but as an independent piano technician. There is a severe shortage of experienced, good piano technicians on Oahu, so I will be kept very busy. I realize the cost of living is twice as expensive as what I am making here in Alabama, but I will be making almost three times what I was making here.