[CAUT] Tuning the back duplex

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun May 27 11:44:34 MDT 2007

Hi folks.

I have been spending a lot of time lately playing with various ideas in
relation to the back duplex length.  I know there is a lot of back and
forth discussion about the viability of this idea... but the following
thoughts have prompted me to start looking closer at this whole thing.

It has been stated time and time again here that the friction levels
needed to be overcome for a change in tension to occur for this length
are great enough that if true, one can assume that this length would
remain quite stable during play, perhaps more so by a good deal then the
speaking length. This would mean that any (reasonable) pitch adjustment
to  of these lengths could easily be done during the course of a usual
tuning. I find routinely that the pitch of these lengths for unisons
vary quite a bit and these variant pitches remain stable from tuning to
tuning. This allows for quite a large window for which to tune these
lengths to.

It strikes me as intuitively obvious that lengths of the same length
should have as identical pitches as possible. In fact, it is quite easy
to accomplish this with an ETD on the fly as a part of a regular tuning.
If you need to increase tension, just use a string hook and pull on the
speaking length close to the bridge pin in a direction away from the
pin.... or simply tune the string quite high until the back length rises
in tension enough.  To go the other way simply do the same on the duplex
length. Fine adjustment is easier then you might think. In fact the
whole process doesnt add all that much time to a regular tuning, and can
be expected to hold pretty darn solidly at least as long as the next
seasonal change. Climatic changes affect the whole darned instrument so
this is not a reason IMHO to not tune this section.

Now... just what is the most optimal frequency relationship to the
speaking length to tune these lengths too is another question.  I'm
getting the feeling that if one assures that the tension is higher in
the back length then the speaking length.... that you end up with a
cleaner sounding instrument.... but I am still experimenting.  Any
thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
RicB