[CAUT] Fiberboard

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon May 28 07:16:20 MDT 2007

Hi

I would tend to agree with both of Dougs points here. I dont think
friction at or close to the agraffe gets into this picture... tho
increased friction may have some influence on how the string renders
over the felted area... still thats something else.  From the capo
discussions dealing with the front duplex subject, we have heard many
times that some combinations of lengths and offset angles for this front
string segment will start causing noise. Off hand it would seem to me
that an agraffe would be more susceptible to this kind of problem then
the capo bar.  I would tend to want to keep the distance between the
string bearing on the felt and the agraffe pretty short.

Cheers
RicB

    Doug Wood writes:

    I believe it is about clamping/damping the string close to the
    agraffe. The distance can make a difference. There is a local tech
    who likes to put a brass rod under the strings at about 3/8 to 1/2
    inch from the agraffes when restringing. I had a customer with one of
    these pianos who was VERY displeased with the sibilance this
    produced, so after setting everything else up as well as I could
    (regulating, voicing, etc.) I still got to extract the rod.  Fun. But
    the customer was much happier. My impression was that having that
    whole section undamped made far more difference than I'd guessed
    based on just one note. But do listen to individual notes with and
    without your finger pressing close to the agraffe for the general
    effect.

    Doug