[CAUT] Voicing method/analogy

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue May 29 14:59:05 MDT 2007

An excellent commentary.  I would go so far as to say thee most valuable
thing with Stanwood methodology is the ability to provide such even
levels of mass in both hammer and key resulting in unprecedented
evenness of BW. I am less enthused with some of the ratio design
applications of this methodology I've seen I have to admit that. But
when it comes to balancing a well designed action... nothing can come
close.  Once an appropriate set of hammer SW's is chosen for the given
action... and instrument othewise....  it is then that Stanwood really
comes into its own IMHO.

I'd agree about the extremes on both ends.... they are instructive to be
sure... but somewhere in the middle resides that comfortable responsive
range me thinks.

As for comments about appropriate hammers with respect to densness and
weight relative to soundboard responsiveness. These are interesting to
be sure, and tho I do not discount them in any sense of the word, I do
miss the kind of data that sheds light on user end preferences of the
sort that Stanwood has provided for actions, and I tho such data will
probably never exist... I do wonder at what it would reveal.

Cheers
RicB

    We are very fortunate to have talented and creditable techs at both
    ends
    of this spectrum.  Even if it comes to be that some middle ground is
    what prevails long term, as I expect, look at what we have learned in
    the process!  Deep down those with strong feelings one way or the other
    hopefully can agree on that.  May that spirit and discussion of
    challenging ideas we saw take root in our organization maybe 10-15
    years
    ago...  continue.

     From the experiments I tried with M-'s leadless (or even near
    leadless)
    method there was too much first inertia to feel comfortable, or perhaps
    just too different from what most players are familiar with.  The
    beauty
    of Stanwood's approach is that is the ideas are sound and applicable to
    any weight range of hammers.  We have seen the presentation and
    marketing of ideas change profoundly in PTG over the past 10+ years
    however, for reasons I don't pretend to understand.  It is what it is,
    and I suppose you can't fault people for trying to maximize income.

    cheers,

    Dennis Johnson
    St. Olaf College