[CAUT] Voicing method/analogy

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue May 29 16:14:22 MDT 2007

Data revealing anything meaningful about user end preferences with respect
to tone are not likely.  There's too much variability when it comes to tonal
preference.  Limited exposure to various combinations within a particular
instrument also make collecting such data impractical at best.  Action
response is a much simpler thing.  That being said, it is fairly easy to
demonstrate even with simple thought experiments why hammers of different
weights and densities will produce different types of tone on soundboards of
varying weight and/or condition especially when combined with scales of
different tension levels.  I'm in the midst of a two part presentation at
the local chapter which offers an introduction to the ideas.  Once refined,
I hope to be giving it on a broader level.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com

As for comments about appropriate hammers with respect to denseness and
weight relative to soundboard responsiveness. These are interesting to be
sure, and tho I do not discount them in any sense of the word, I do miss the
kind of data that sheds light on user end preferences of the sort that
Stanwood has provided for actions, and I tho such data will probably never
exist... I do wonder at what it would reveal.

Cheers
RicB