[CAUT] Tuning the back duplex

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed May 30 12:42:36 MDT 2007

Hi Cy

For the moment... I'm just insuring it has a bit more tension then the
speaking length... and that the <<unisons>> are tuned to the same
frequency... and that that frequency is one in which I hear nothing (or
as little as possible) of anything resembling a single string beat when
any of the three strings back lengths are plucked.

Interestingly... I found right from the get go that factory installed
aliquots (or whatever you call them) are far from consistantly placed in
just about any make. That is to say, I havent measured the actual
distance from the back bridge pin to the contact point of the aliquot on
pianos... but I have noticed that the highest obtainable pitch for any
given back length varies greatly from piano to piano of same make and
design. Easy example... take the top few notes of Steinways.  The
speaking length and back length should be able to yield the same
frequency with the string up to pitch.  But I've found several that no
matter what you do... you cant get the back length up to the same pitch
as the speaking length. Perhaps the speaking length varies from piano to
piano and the back length remains constant... I dont know...  But
clearly... if the idea is that these lengths should be able to have
clearly defined consonant frequencies to harmonics of the speaking
lengths... the placement of the back length termination is not
consistent enough to do the job.

I dont really know that this matters much... for the moment I just get
the feeling that as long as the back length has a higher tension then
the front length, and that these are tuned to as close a state of
beatlessness as possible... that the result is a cleaner sounding piano.

Cheers
RicB

    Do you tune the rear duplex by its proportional length,
    geometrically -- i.e. move the little Monopoly house so that the
    length of the rear duplex is exactly half of the speaking length --
    or do you account for inharmonicity, and tune the rear duplex to the
    exact frequency of the second partial of the speaking length?

    --Cy--