[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Nov 1 17:40:17 MST 2007

While knowing how to play the piano certainly can't hurt a piano technician,
it's not clear that it necessarily helps.  Certainly being a pianist doesn't
make you a piano technician: how many pianists can't tell you the difference
between a hammer and a damper?  Piano technicians will have different skill
sets and levels of understanding the mechanics of a piano and you will find
just as often excellent piano technicians who don't play as you will piano
technicians who play who aren't very skilled technicians.  The same is true
for communicating.  A skilled technician is in part, by my definition, one
who is able to communicate effectively with the pianist whether it is about
the difficulties of executing a rapid passage, the subtleties of voicing, or
the quality of tone.  Where a piano technician who doesn't play is at
somewhat of a disadvantage is that they can't necessarily test out the
performance aspect themselves.  But how many piano technicians, even those
who do play, really can push the piano to its limit.  Playing the piano and
working on the piano are not always the most compatible, especially in terms
of the stresses put on the hands.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com