[CAUT] Digest, Vol 1103, Issue 85 Moving Wippen Rail

Keith Roberts keithspiano at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 07:56:21 MST 2007

Actually I added up the numbers and the 2mm movement of the rail using only
the change in EA as the factor only changes the DW by 1.5g. So therefore the
jack moving toward the tangent line does increase the output of the jack. I
was wrong. It does give strong evidence to my theory though. It is true that
moving the jack away from the tangent line of the jack center will decrease
the force produced at the top of the jack. This directional move of the jack
is shortening the RA as you measure it. According to your action ratio
then; the force is increasing  as the jack rotates away from the tangent
line of the jack center (towards the wippen center). OOps.

What I see when I look at the pictures is the jack is leaned so the top is
on the circumference line of the jack center and that is why the ratio as
you do it works. The window of movement provided by the rep lever is so
small as to not allow much of a change so the figures do not get so far off
as to make a big difference.

Keith Roberts