[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Nov 6 00:56:27 MST 2007

Hi Jeff

         > Number one who has shown one way or the other whether there
        is any
         > truth to this statement.

    I think the real challenge would be to prove there is no truth to the
    statement.  The fact is that there are many very respected techs at
    upper echelon schools who do not have music degrees.  In my mind, it
    would be more difficult to prove their work is inferior to that of
    someone who has a degree than to prove that it is not.

As I pointed out earlier.  All else things being equal between two
techs.... it is hardly a difficult thing to imagine that a tech with the
ability to speak and understand the language of the end user is better
equipped to more efficiently solve that users needs then one who does
not.  If I had two very highly talented CAUTs in front of me who were
equal in all ways except their ability to relate to pianists use of
language and perspectives... I  have no doubt who I would choose.

The bulk of the rest of your post relies on a view about testing I have
on several occasions pointed to as flawed.  As with piano technicans,
Pianists, doctors, teachers, plumbers... virtually everyone included...
testing is not about guarantees.  It is wrong to assume that just
because one has any particular certification one is the best qualified
for any given job.  The goal of certifications is to give the outside
world a handle to hold onto... one of several evaluation tools in their
bag of hiring tricks.

With all due respect in return... you go on to make a series of
assumptions that you have really less grounds for making then the one
you accuse me of making. Of course there are many <<techs>> in the
buisness who have no interest at all for music.  That is indeed at least
half our problem.  Neither do I see how you can first more or less
discount the above claim, for then to turn around an give it some small
yet insignificant acknowledgment.

I say again.  Accreditation is simply a tool, and as such it can of
course be misused like all other tools.  I gain a sense that you seem to
take issue with accreditation in general since you apply the same
reasoning to both pianists and the CAUT issue.  I think its fair to say
the general value/pitfalls of accreditations in general are well
discussed in the world and I think its equally fair to say that most, if
not nearly all other professions in the end decide to rely on them
because the pros outweigh the cons.

In our case... the problem is by far more one of ourselves coming to
agreement on the issue of what to do then it is a matter of contriving a
viable stamp of approval.

Cheers
RicB