[CAUT] Assorted Queries

Fred S Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Nov 6 08:08:35 MST 2007

Hi Geoffrey,
1) I like to seat at an angle  toward the intersection of
the pin and bridge, more toward pin than bridge. Why? To
"create a positive bend," which helps to define
termination. I always try to avoid too much pressure
against the wood of the bridge. Any tap will create a
dent. Try it with a short piece of music wire held against
an open portion of bridge. See how tiny a tap causes a
dent. And taps on the wire away from the bridge will also
cause a bend in the wire if they are strong enough. You
can see them by running your eye up and down, getting a
reflected glare to run up and down the wire.

Positive bends at termination points seem to me to give a
much better definition of tone, and they help establish
pitch stability on new strings a whole lot. I use a home
made tool quite similar to Schaff's false beat eliminator
(formerly Wurlitzer's - the tool was invented by the
Wurlitzer technical rep whose name I forget in the early
80s. He came through Albuquerque and showed it off, along
with Silicone oil and a tool for removing those 8" action
bracket screws if they broke off). Mine is made from brass
stock (1/8" x 3/4" I think) with a wooden handle end. A
grove in the end created with a file, a bend created with
a vice and hammer. Mine is smaller than Schaff's by a fair
bit, so fits in the tool case better. You can also just
take some round brass stock, 1/4" or whatever fits a combo
handle, and sharpen the end and file a groove in it. I
think applying pressure and sliding along the string is
the best procedure.

I don't do this often, mostly just once on a piano. If you
are denting the string into the bridge, you will create an
endless loop where you need to "re-seat the strings" every
single tuning. And it will sound nice and be a big
improvement right after you are there. Which makes you the
big hero, right? <G>

2) The felt of the trichords should not extend below the
wire, or below the widest portion of the wire (there is a
small window that works well). Any felt that extends below
will tend to fluff out, and so it will brush and "play"
the strings on lift. Trimming should be done with very
sharp, narrow scissors. THe best I have found are carried
by Jurger of Pianoforte supply, very reasonably priced for
what they are. Try a large fabric store for less expensive
but still high quality alternatives.

Cut the felt straight along the bottom of the groove the
strings have made. Then taper the right angle sharp
corners (very subtle controlled cutting). Learning this
skill is utterly essential if you do any work for
recording with close miking.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico