[CAUT] WT intonation/violin

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Tue Nov 6 14:56:03 MST 2007

Jim writes:

<< Is there a chance that another piece might NOT have "lined up" with this
temperament? Did you just get lucky?<<

       I go on the assumption that anything written before 1900 was written
with an understanding of a general usage of tonality, ie,  the use of tempering
variety to assist creating the mood the composer is aiming for.  For music
that was not written in that era, the variety doesn't help or hurt, ie, it is
basically transparent in music not written to take advantage of the pattern.
    Once my ear became familiar with well-tempering, ET sounded anything but
smooth.  It is a very buzzy sounding tuning. There is tempering everywhere!
In order to create as much dissonance as exists in ET, a WT composer would have
to stay in the mid to highly expressive keys, most of the time.  Which they
rarely did, and when they did there, it was for expressive effect, which was
heightened by its contrast to all that sweet harmony of the nearer keys, where
EVERYONE spent most of their time., (except Chopin).  The more highly tempered
thirds become consonant lower on the keyboard, whereas the "smooth" ones
become dissonant, (function of the difference in the critical band).

>>I'm always worried that a piece
will not be in the "smooth keys" (my words) and go opposite of what you
wrote. >>

       Composers didn't usually live in the "smooth" keys.  They wrote music
that ventured out of them, often in incremental steps, before resolving back
into consonance, (gross oversimplification, I know).  This rise and fall of
dissonance is logical, and the Coleman tuning supports it without ever getting
wolfish.  And smoothness isn't everything, (and hasn't been since the Meantone
era).  There are extremely musical sounds in a highly tempered 17th, for
example.  It allows a near-vocal vibrato to be produced on the keyboard. Remote keys
also have pure fifths, so the capacity for consonant and sedative, as well as
tempered and highly charged emotional involvment is there.

          You can play anything on this tuning without it sounding "out".
The classical definition of poison is "too much".  Same with tempering.  The
Coleman tuning is a great balance between the evenness of ET and the palette of
WT.  Nothing in it is "too much", but the harmonic texture of the music sure
hits a lot of musicians in the right place.

Ed Foote RPT
http://www.aol.com</HTML>