[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Thu Nov 8 19:15:03 MST 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Tanner <jtanner at mozart.sc.edu>
To: College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>
Sent: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 12:07 pm
Subject: Re: [CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

?
<But I would completely disagree with anyone who thinks that the college system is the superior system of instruction of the study of music. It is a system and it is a generally accepted system. But neither Mozart nor Beethoven nor Liszt nor Tchaikovsky learned music this way. They could have taught our instructors by they time they were teenagers. And I bet if you polled a few of your instructors, you'd see they would rather teach music via a different system.>?

Early composers didn't attend college because there weren't colleges teaching music. BUT,?all?composers and musicians learned music from instructors,?some?of whom? were highly respected musicians and music educators of their time. In other words, Mozart, Beethoven, etc. didn't just learn to compose and play by themselves. They had help, a lot of it. And except for maybe Mozart, I doubt if they could have taught music on an advanced level by the time they were teenagers, because they were still learning themselves. Today, most major symphony orchestras, and even the Army, Navy and Marine Bands, won't even look at a candidate?without a college degree.

Sorry, Jeff, no matter how you slice it, music cannot?be learned on your own, out of book, without guidance.?

?
Wim