[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Nov 9 01:24:11 MST 2007

The main point here is simply whether or not the curriculum for a
certification meant for a Head of Piano Technology Department should
include some level of formal music education. Reducing this education in
one way another to something far more worthless then it in actuality is
doesn't really work well as an argumentation. This time you boil it down
to Music Theory 101.  I understand you are trying to sharpen your
point... but we just all end up off on a meaningless tangent debating
what education is or isnt.

It is in my mind untenable to suppose that two otherwise equally
technicians in any field are going to be equally effective if one of
these can relate to the pianists, car driver, whathaveyou, reality
significantly better then the other.  The only question is whether an
associates degree in music with piano as the instrument can do that or
not in our particular case. I'll grant that its an unproven
postulate.... but I will also stand on the likelihood of its validity.

Whether one is self taught, had Mr Mozart Senior exercising extremes of
discipline on a 3 year old, or one going through a school system is not
as important as how much one learns to be sure... but thats a very
complicated issue beyond the scope of what can be simply debated in this
type of forum.  To generalize an imply that the college system is not a
superior system of instruction is really meaningless... because for some
students it is exactly that... for other it isnt.  We do not all learn
the same way.  As to the other composers... Liszt for example learned
initially from his father true... did education stints with Czerny,
Salieri and Chopin later in his youth... and .... ended up being a
teacher at the Budapest Conservatory of Music. Hardly a good example of
someone not a product of structured education.

In any case all this is basically off the point.  The whole point of a
CAUT certification is to provide administrators with a very solid handle
to hold onto when evaluating a Head of Piano Technology Department
applicant, with the main goal from our side to improve awareness of how
important our contribution is, how high we should be valued.

I find it not surprising at all that the <<piano guy>> in the modern
world is generally speaking an undervalued, little understood person...
and the work he/she does even less valued or understood given
argumentations by our own folks that reduce us to mere mechanics who
need to know little or nothing about the users perspective of the
product we work on.  We are not refrigerator repairmen... and the piano
doesn't have a simple off and on switch.  It is an instrument of
creative expression, and to service it to the degree a Head CAUT should
be able to... one needs to be well down that same creative road both as
a technician and as a musician.

As with all things... the better start from a pure educational point of
view one has... the shorter the learning path experience yeilds.

Cheers
RicB

    The main point I was debating, though, is that there are other
    alternatives which, for our purposes, are just as effective at
    teaching what we need to know to be good piano technicians and
    communicate with pianists.  For our purposes, a college degree is a
    resume filler.  What I want to know about a piano technician is
    something completely unrelated to what he learned in Music Theory 101.

    But I would completely disagree with anyone who thinks that the
    college system is the superior system of instruction of the study of
    music.  It is a system and it is a generally accepted system.  But
    neither Mozart nor Beethoven nor Liszt nor Tchaikovsky learned music
    this way.  They could have taught our instructors by they time they
    were teenagers.  And I bet if you polled a few of your instructors,
    you'd see they would rather teach music via a different system.

    But that wouldn't provide a steady income and a benefit package.

    Best Regards,
    Jeff