[CAUT] (no subject)

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 9 15:54:45 MST 2007

At 11:00 AM 11/9/2007, Richard Brekne wrote:
>I beg your pardon.  Beethoven learned from his father for the first
>years of his life, In 1787 he was sent to Vienna to further his
>education by Prince Maximilian Franz among other things meeting and
>being influenced by Mozart himself.  Again in 1792 he was sent by a
>benifactor to Vienna to study there. To quote a short biography....
>
>    "At Vienna, the young musician took lessons with Haydn, then with
>    Albrechtsberger and Salieri.

Might be interesting to mention how Joe Haydn (and his brother
Michael) became musicians and composers. They were from the lower
classes, not from a musical family - and would have been apprenticed
to some tradesman to learn a trade or craft if not for their
beautiful voices as small boys. They were therefore taken into the
Church educational system, taught vocal technique, how to play
keyboards and strings, music theory, composition - and prepared for a
career in music pretty much as one would be in a university or
conservatory - except at a much younger age and in a much more
intense manner. As they neared puberty, both had to make the decision
on whether they wished to maintain their boyish voices and have
assured careers as castrati sopranos, or forego the operation and
seek work as musicians with courts or churches. They chose the
latter. Had they not been lucky enough to have been taught music by
the church, neither of them would have played or written one note...

Israel Stein