[CAUT] slick keytops

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Mon Nov 12 15:58:11 MST 2007

What I do (adapting an idea from Steve Brady) is to take a real
beeswax candle, and make a short mark on each key, then smear it
around until it "disappears" into an even trace layer all over the
key, using my fingers and a shop towel. You can try varying amounts
of wax, and have the pianist try them out.

I don't bother with any "product" for cleaning. I just wet the corner
of a shop towel, squeeze it into the rest so it's barely damp, and
clean off only the visible dirt. Using minimal water seems to help
keep the keys from being slick afterwards.

I've found that pianists are most bothered by slick sharps, which
they can slide off of.
I like the beeswax because it is easy to keep in the kit, has a
pleasant odor, is completely nontoxic, and could be removed if need
be. It gives just enough stickiness, without any visible changes.

Susan Kline
Oregon State, Newport Arts Center