[CAUT] slick keytops

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Mon Nov 12 21:25:32 MST 2007

You're welcome, Jim. Glad the beeswax did the
trick! Sometimes my fingers get a little hot and
bothered by all the rubbing, but it doesn't last,
and the beeswax effect does. The beeswax has
gotten two pianists very happy (the second
overcame his doubts after the first raved about
my beeswax to him), both times just a few minutes
before concerts. They are SO relieved when
they've been fighting slickness to feel some grip
under their fingertips. It seems equally good on ivory or plastic keytops.

It's something I can do to concert rental pianos,
too, since with careful rubbing there's no way to
tell I've been there. One can be quite subtle
about it, doing just enough for the artist, but
not enough to attract the attention of any "piano police".

I'm not partial to hairspray or sandpaper -- I
imagine one leaving nasty lacquer on the keys,
and the other scratching the ivory - and ivory is
too nice to mess up, especially these days.

Best,
Sssssnnn

>Thanks Susan!
>
>I had some beeswax here and it worked well.
>You’re right about “varying amounts”. From
>“still a bit slick” to a regular flytrap
 He’s going to try it out tomorrow.