[CAUT] Bowing piano strings?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Nov 13 18:40:08 MST 2007

Hi Alan,
    Thanks for the specifics. They are in line with what I have seen and
heard about. We had a bowed piano ensemble come through as a guest
performance last year, that unfortunately my schedule didn¹t allow me to
attend. I heard great things about them, and the recording of their
performance was remarkable. Ten or more people around the piano, picking up
their various ³bows², kind of like a handbell choir, as I understand, damper
pedal either wedged down or operated by a designated person. The name Scott
is vaguely  ringing a bell, but I have forgotten.
    Yes, they used a concert D, lid removed. Needed a full size instrument
to fit everyone around it. No, there were absolutely no negative after
effects. And ditto about wound strings.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico