[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Nov 14 17:35:10 MST 2007

On 11/13/07 9:47 PM, "David Ilvedson" <ilvey at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Another question, how many CAUT's work outside of the university in addition
> to their positions?   David Ilvedson, RPTPacifica, CA 94044

Hi David,
    I think your question assumes that a ³CAUT² is a full time employee. I
believe from a fair amount of evidence that well over 75% of cauts are less
than full time, and a large majority are ³contract² (although most don¹t
actually have a real contract), and many service multiple colleges and
universities. Hence, most cauts work outside the university. More telling,
though, is the fact that probably most full time cauts moonlight to make
ends meet.
    I¹m a half time employee, and I do more private work outside the
university than what I do as an employee. I have a few other institutional
³contracts² and a large clientele of individuals.
    I started at the university after five years on my own. Looking back, I
was pretty green. At the time, I was rather proud of my abilities.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico