[CAUT] Hygrometers

johnsond johnsond at stolaf.edu
Fri Nov 16 07:42:15 MST 2007

The sling that I use is rather small and you only need to whirl it
around with your wrist for a couple minutes.  It is preferred to use
distilled water, but tap can do.  There is no question that it is much
less convenient, and of course breakable, but I have used mine with no
problems for at about 20 years. This one was made by Weksler
Instruments, but I can't remember where from.  One small compensation
for the inconvenience is that the final reading tends to carry more
clout with the people who can make changes.  I once used a $150.00 hand
held digital model from Pacer Industries, Inc. -  until I learned it was
supposed to be sent back to the factory annually for re-calibration.
Now it sits in a junk drawer.

Gotta love Fridays~

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College