[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Fri Nov 16 12:39:31 MST 2007

On Nov 15, 2007, at 9:26 PM, Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel) wrote:

> Jeff,
>

> Hearing you mention that you have 3 kids reminded me that I’ve been
> meaning to interject the question of tuition remission into our
> discussions of the benefits of a college job. Do you get tuition
> remission at USC?
No.

I don’t know what in-state tuition is there but by the time your kids
are ready for college, I’ll bet you could save a bundle.

Would be nice, wouldn't it.  Our assistant dean told me years ago
that tuition remission is a perk that is being gradually done away
with nationwide.  Tuition at U of SC is one of the highest for state
schools in the southeast.  The running joke has always been that UVA
and USC battle it out for highest tuition every year.  We do have
lottery proceeds now, but lottery scholarship funds don't increase to
match tuition increases -- it's actually a $3K a year thing I think -
and ya gotta keep a B+, which my oldest isn't going to do.

Jeff

> My son is 11 and I’ll guess that in-state tuition here at UC will
> be $15,000 / yr by the time he is ready for college (maybe more!).
> If he just goes 4 years that’s $60,000. With three kids you could
> really cash in on a benefit like this. You’ll probably come up with
> a reason why tuition remission isn’t such a great deal but to me it
> looks a whole lot better than getting a second (or third) mortgage.
Yeah, we've already maxed that out.  :-)
Jeff