[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

Cy Shuster cy at shusterpiano.com
Mon Nov 19 00:01:38 MST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ward & Probst, Inc" <wardprobst at wardprobst.com>
To: "'College and University Technicians'" <caut at ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2007 9:27 PM
Subject: Re: [CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

> Hi Fred,
> My quibble (not objection) is that "beyond" is inaccurate. The RPT
> examination is based on a relatively broad base of skills that most
> technicians will use in field service- it's general not specialized. The
> CAUT endorsement will be for a relatively narrow base of skills that fit
> the
> CAUT environment- it's specialized. To me categorizing one of them as
> beyond
> the other is like comparing a BA in Philosophy with a BA in Piano
> Performance or a BS in Physics with a BA in English.
> My take,
> DP
> Dale Probst, RPT
> Midwestern State University

Here's the easy way to put it: Will RPT status be required in order to
receive the CAUT endorsement?

* * *

I have another question.  Will the CAUT endorsement result in higher
salaries, more status, or both, simply because decision-makers in the
academic enviroment respect "post-grad" degrees?

I'm on this list by virtue of just a year of contract work for a community
college, but years ago I made an interesting observation when I worked for a
defense contractor (Hughes).  Since we were a supplier to the Army, we
gradually took on more and more characteristics of our client.  Our campus
was assigned building numbers, not names (and painted ugly green to boot).
Our parking lot had separate areas, with the closer areas assigned to people
with higher rank.  Job titles and responsibilities paralleled our
counterparts in the Army.  Some of these changes made it easier to work
together; others were more cosmetic or cultural, and had a less tangible
effect (but still real).

There's nothing wrong with aligning the CAUT endorsement to the academic
environment in such a way as to get the most bang for the buck (as long as
no PTG goals are diminished).  The easiest wins are sometimes just in
choosing familiar words, such as "continuing education credits" for PTG
seminars (this might involve a formal process, too).  What kinds of
additional credentials can a music professor earn (other than a degree)?
Choosing a similar name could help.

***

It seems that there's a need for a job title for CAUTs that is farther away
from Facilities, and closer to a highly-skilled person who maintains
expensive items to high artistic standards, like someone responsible for a
collection of paintings in a museum who arranges the gallery as well as
repairing damage.  At the Museum of Fine Art in Boston, the title is
"Curator of Musical Instruments".

--Cy Shuster, RPT--
www.shusterpiano.com