[CAUT] Downbearing Error

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Nov 19 12:29:13 MST 2007

I caused it ! :)   Second time around on a bridge replacement... could a
sworn I had it right... when I drilled the bridge pin holes... but after
starting to chip up to pitch noticed I'd made an error. Pretty much
consistant over the whole piano.

Thats all a different discussion however which I will be delighted to
take when I get a good fix for my present error.

Cheers
RicB

        What caused the downbearing to be much to begin with?
        Wim Blees

    Hi folks

    Looking for advice as to how to go about correcting a downbearing
    error. There is too much downbearing. The thought is to remove
    bridge pins ... say five unisons at a time.... shave down the bridge
    top string up again. This will necessitate plugging bridge pin holes
    and redrilling as I need to come down probably 2-3 mm in places.

    The high spot of string deflection is the leading edge of the
    bridge. My question is whether its best to leave the back edge at
    the height it is and angle the bridge surface down more towards the
    leading edge... or should I remove equally across the entire surface
    of the bridge ?... or is there another way of going about this.

    I cant change anything about the plate height in this instance. I
    have to accomplish this by altering the bridge. Back lengths are too
    long to raise them enough by half rounds... and that would look
    wrong here anyways.

    Thanks for any input.

    Cheers
    RicB