[CAUT] Soundboard mass

Alan McCoy amccoy at mail.ewu.edu
Wed Nov 21 13:57:38 MST 2007

Jon,

> Select a suitable diameter bolt, cut the head off
> and cut a slot in the shank to screw it in. Don't
> recess it too much and cover it with a paper dot,
> this way it will be somewhat easy to remove for
> future bridge repair. Hex drive cap or set screws
> might work too.

I like this idea. I'll check it out next time I'm at the piano. Several
slotted, threaded brass rods screwed into the bridge top between unisons. I
wouldn't cover them at all. The bridge top doesn't have graphite and the
brass would look fine.

> As far as attaching a weight to the bottom, since it
> is a Wapin bridge, you'd have to drill down through
> the bridge and case with a pilot hole to be certain
> of clearing all the bridge pins. Then drill up
> through the belly for screw insertion, a pilot guide
> end might be needed to avoid wandering.
>

> Get creative with brass stock bent to the bridge
> curve on risers (I like this one), less invasive
> easily reversed (maybe inverted half-round?).
> Have Mason & Hamlin engraved on it :-)

I was talking with Tim Geinert about the thread and he thought of the idea
of attaching a piece of flat brass to the front side of the bridge.
Accessible from the action cavity under the strings. Might be worth a try.
Easily reversible if it didn't work and if it worked and didn't look
atrocious, then I could epoxy it in place.

Thanks for your ideas.

Alan