[CAUT] Soundboard mass

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Nov 22 10:21:58 MST 2007

Not too sharp.  You don't need that when not using lacquer.  I think if you
make it too sharp without something like lacquer to firm it up the strike
point doesn't have enough support and the tone actually suffers.  The
refined filing has more to do with a fine polishing with 1000 grit backed
paper to give the tone clarity and a little shine.  Being aware of the
amount of felt over the core of the hammer, especially in the treble, is
important too.  With the Bacon felt hammers I usually have to remove some
felt in the treble, not much but some.  The amount will depend on the set.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com