[CAUT] 1850's Pleyel Grand

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Nov 27 01:07:26 MST 2007

Hi Greg

    Greg writes:

        A pretty thing. C'mon ... how much?

Grin... I'll keep that to myself for a bit longer.

        IS this piano a Viennese instrument? I have 3 to sell if anyone's
        interested. I really need the space!!!

Actaully... the Viennese action, like so many other older action
types... and the modern actions for that matter, could be either
wonderfully executed or bonified  pieces of junk.  The Bluthner Patent
action of old is still seen by many as the fastest action ever made when
put back into good condition.  I cant see why anyone would ever re-fit
an older Bluthner with a new action myself.  Action parts are still
available. The Viennese action, depending on the variant can be perhaps
a bit more difficult to find new parts for, but often enough there are
solutions to just about any problem.

Thing is tho... when these things were initially produced.. and quality
workmanship applied. They were very nice machines indeed.  I've actually
wondered quite often just why it was the piano world actually did end up
with the Herz variation on the Erard action for grands.

Cheers
RicB